Question:
Why people voting 'uncommitted' in Washington primary?
2008-02-09 22:57:00 UTC
There are registered republicans going out of there way to go vote in the Primary with the listed options of McCain, Huckabee, Ron Paul and Romney (Even tho he's suspended his campaign).... How much more diverse can you get??? How do these 2,000 alleged republicans justify taking their votes away when it could mean a win for any of the runners if they had just congregated and picked a person who aligns with them best?? Rebels with out causes??
Five answers:
Ryan
2008-02-09 23:04:22 UTC
I'd guess that they're Romney supporters who didn't feel like going for him since he's suspended his campaign, or they're the sort who are really angry about immigration (we've got plenty of them up here) and didn't like what any of the candidates had to say on the issue.
Mark Abe
2008-02-09 23:18:25 UTC
They're uncommitted. My guess is a large number of them are small-government republicans, but none willing to vote for small government Ron Paul because of his Iraq opinion.

Republicans are in a tough election year this time around. There's general frustration from conservatives and evangelicals against Bush, anger from moderates and independents against Bush, and upset constitutionalist republicans against Bush as well. Also the party seems to be transitioning from a small-government party to a large-government-when-we-have-to-protect-ourselves-from-bad-guys party.

When the primaries started the republican candidates were filled with a lot of good qualities, but also a lot of bad qualities that no one section of the republican party wanted to concede. Giuliani upset the social conservatives, Huckabee upset the economic conservatives, Romney upset the base with his flipflopping, Thompson yawned his way through, McCain upsets the conservative whole, Paul should've ran before World War 2 ....

In the end the Republican Party found itself largely disorganized and fractured. Mainly it's the conservatives who are angry because enough "change" is wanted by the entire nation that the most liberal candidate is going to be nominated by their party. They feel their voice won't be heard.

These Republicans could not bring themselves to vote for a New England flip flopper like Romney. Paul is too Libertarian for the party. Huckabee still has some questionable skills economically (not many like his Fair Tax Plan).

In order to show discontent with their party, voting UnCommitted sends a message to McCain and the Republicans that they aren't happy and they need to do something drastic if they want to win the White House WITH them.
Jeffrey C
2008-02-09 23:23:57 UTC
This looks to me like a protest vote.

They know McCain is going to get the nomination. They want to say they don't like it. They might not like Huckabee or Paul either, so why not vote "uncommitted" in protest.

BTW, that number is state delegates. The actual number of voters is far higher. I voted in WA Dem caucus today. In my precinct, there was a 10-1 ratio between voters and state delegates. I'm not sure what the ratio was on the Repub side. It varies but I think 10-1 is probably a fairly accurate average. Just wanted you to know that far more people voted in WA than those numbers seem to indicate.
2008-02-09 23:01:26 UTC
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=1413
Think 1st
2008-02-09 23:00:27 UTC